Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Big One

Sitting in the living room after that last bowl of chili-no sleep for me tonight-and now waiting for the "big one" to come in tonight and give New Hampshire another 12"+ of snow.  Reading what my Missouri friends say about the blizzard hitting their area makes me amaze at what happens here.  Grocery stores are just another day, schools open-maybe even having recess outside;  Physical education classes have snow shoes as part of their equipment, schools go skiing one day a week.  Snow plows keep the roads open and life just goes on!  Have attached some pictures from the morning hours.

Got a  book of Shore Bird Patterns (Shourds & Hillman) signed first edition 1978-really cool. The book is filled with great patterns of shorebirds that I can't wait to get to.  My wood supply for bigger decoys has been exhausted so have had to put several orders on hold.  Going to paint a couple of shore birds that I carved last fall-get it done while I watch the snow.  If you are interested in some great history of decoys check out the Ward  Museum of Wildfowl Art; they have a big carving competition in the spring of the year-hope that I can save some pennies to make the trip down.  I wish I could say it would be a wedding anniversary trip for my wife, but don't think she would be as excited as I am in wandering through a museum of old decoys.  Oh well maybe up the coast of Maine.




Watched a great carving DVD "Wood Carving Basics" David Sabol-it gives you information on what tools to get, how to use the tools, sharpen the tools, chip carve, decoy carve, relief carve, sign carve plus all the painting techniques.  The only tough thing was the guy has been doing this for 40 years and is really, really , really good!  Plan to post pictures of the miniatures that I have painted plus the shorebirds., tomorrow.  For those of you complaining about the snow, just think how much more water will be in the streams and lakes this spring for those trout.  That's when we will be talking "keeping a tight line" but for now just make sure to measure twice and cut once.  Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. From one of your Missouri Contacts...
    Your post puts things in perspective here...
    and reminds me...
    why I'm a happy Missouri Gal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coach - I highly recommend Port Clyde, ME. It's home to some really cool people (a quiet denizen for some famous folks - not neccessarily the cools ones)and beautiful terrain. You'll recognize the light house from Forrest Gump and from many N.C. and Andrew Wyeth paintings. A friend rents out his house and boathouse (oceanfront) just east of the lighthouse.

    ReplyDelete