Pages

Sunday, January 2, 2011

The End of the Holidays

Having been an educator for 40 years and having just retired I still find the Sunday after New Years to be depressing because school resumes tomorrow.  But my day involves taking the recycling back and making some doctor appointments, but will probably get up and get ready to go to school anyway.

Back to wood-did you know that in New Zealand there are natives that have a long list of taboos to observe when wood carving?  Never leave food near wood that is being carved (sounds like a New Year's resolution to me); it is also forbidden to "blow away" the wood chips or shavings, because wood carver's breath might offend the spirit of the wood.  (How To Carve Wood-Richard Biitz).  I know that when might dad would cut down a tree to burn in the fire place that he planted 25 trees to replace the one-the farm is thick with walnut, oak and hickory trees;  the native American prayed if they had to cut down a tree.  Each piece of wood is unique, even if it comes from the same tree.  Often the carver does not know what lies inside especially if working with wood other than basswood.  We are a nation of instant gratification wether it be food (think Wendy's and Micky D's) or relationships-we aren't willing to pay the cost of hand made as compared to machine made.  Woodworking and wood carving requires time from the design to the initial cutting, finishing and carving and cooperation between the wood, your tools and you. I carve wood wizards into pieces that the grandkids bring to me-they always tell me that the wizard is there, I just have to find it!  I don't want to get to philosophical and I understand that educators never joined the real world, but perhaps when we look at how we are living life, we should think more about the "wood" that we work with-patience, tolerance and knowledge make the event more fun even if it does take a little longer.


I also learned the formula for fixing the duck heads and eye location today by reading a book that I had in my library but had neglected to read that chapter-didn't have the time before but that is another story.  Holiday is over, time to get back to work.

Remember to "measure twice and cut once"; much happiness to all.

3 comments:

  1. I once worked with a cabintet maker. One day he was making cabinet doors. After cutting one door to size he realized he had cut it to little. So, back to the saw, one more cut and it was perfect.
    Liking your blog Papa, Annie and I may try some carving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. getting better every day Papa Richter!

    ReplyDelete