Pages

Friday, January 21, 2011

It's Friday and it's still snowing

Another day, another snow day plus Sunday's temps are supposed to be -22; too many jokes to be made about that temperature so I won't even go there!  I like to look at this snow as getting good water into the lakes and streams to fish this spring.  One of the son in laws has a new snow blower and has created a "luge course" in his back yard, complete with steps up to the top of the slope.  The other day he took them to a sledding hill and stayed until they were using head lamps to go down! That is hard core!

Since we have down sized and I have lost the garage as my shop have been trying to figure out a "plan b"; I think I may have found one.  As a coach we always joked that we never had an original idea, just "borrowed" from each other.  One of the key items that a carver needs, other than a sharp knife, is a good bench; my question has been as I have smaller spaces, what do I do for a bench?  While checking out other carvers, (remember no original ideas) found a bench idea on "Big Sky Carvers" site.  I think that I can adapt some of this bench to include a vise set up that might help and really like the small drawer under the bench.  The surface is small enough that I can pull it close plus it is small enough that can slide back into a corner and put a flower on it (my wife would like that) when not in use.


My dad made walnut planters for mom back in the 40's; we still have a couple in storage-they just need some love of refinish and glueing.   So here we are again, looking at what woodworkers did before us and hoping that what we produce might be valuable to our families down the road.  I am sure that they all measured twice and cut once.

No comments:

Post a Comment