Pages

Saturday, August 31, 2013

The End of Summer

So here we come to Labor Day weekend, the first weekend of college football and high school football in Missouri.  I do have to say that I do miss those days and I think often of places like North Callaway, Brookfield and Northwest Missouri State University, Park Hill.  I know this has nothing to day with WOOD  but it is WORD!

The Valley
More importantly it is the end of summer and what a summer is has been-teaching woodworking at Camp Merrowvista was really good.  Some of the feelings were mixed because Pat was able to spend most of the time with me (good) but the reason that she could was that mom was gone (bad).  Mom had talked about spending some time on the farm house porch this summer, just rocking and knitting.  We spent some time at the ocean, fighting those tourists of summer, hitting the Dunkin Donuts and hanging out in the early mornings at the Wolfeboro Docks watching the sun come up and the ducks swim by.  We slept in bunk beds, listened to the loons on Dan Hold Pond and I hope got some relax time getting ready for the days of winter.
Pintail in the background A Fish Decoy in the Front
Partially Finished Camp Projects



I did get work done on two of my oldest blocks, a pintail that I cut out while living at the farm in the late 80's after dad died.  I had two started, finished one, gave it away for a graduation gift and put the other block in a box.  Found it during this last move-it is hollow cut from stacked pine -I know it is hollow because I put rocks inside before gluing it up!  Cut a new head and hope to get it done by Thanksgiving.  Had another big solid block cut out and worked it down with the draw knife, going to be an oversized Mallard decoy, also with a Thanksgiving deadline.  Also have a bunch of shorebirds in various stages of development, need to order the glass eyes for them-deadline for completion???  Then I have the Santa's that I have to finish!!!!  And I am supposed to send some fish decoys to a dealer in Wolfeboro-guess I should be working instead of watching football and writing-of course it is 10 o'clock at night!
Oversize Mallard Decoy


Won't be long until the leaves are turning-the Swamp Maples are already starting to turn red!  I read a piece about man being the only species that keeps a calendar or a clock-think of all the other animals.  Maybe we need to slow down and try to enjoy the journey rather than focus so hard on the destination. I think of when I was in school-yes I can remember that far back!  But I think all of us wanted to hurry and get to the next grade, the next weekend, the next event, driver's license, college and on and on! I bet that most of us now would like to slow the clock down.  Mom always talked about each day being special, she would get up during the night to watch the snow fall, early in the morning to watch the sun come up, she knew where the birds were and even though we had no feeders, she had enough magazines to stay up to date!

We Measured Several Times

Camp Hill as We Drive Out for the End of Summer

 So here we are, enjoying the late summer weather and waiting for those first snow flurries.  Much peace to all and remember to"measure twice and cut once".


No comments:

Post a Comment