Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Loons and Their Magic

The first time I heard the call of the loons the hair on the back of my neck stood up-it was night, no moon, I was walking back from fishing a brook filled with trout.  I knew immediately that a "creature of the night" was coming to get me-remember all those movies we watched as a kid, when more was left to the imagination than in films today?  In New Hampshire there is a creature of the night called a Fisher Cat-a weasel on steroids that kills small dogs, cats, rodents so my fears were founded!  As I ran through the trees to get back to the cabin I smashed into the oldest daughter who with a laugh asked me why I was running-I explained "the creature" that was after me.  With an even broader laugh she explained the loons, their calls and their magic at night.



So ever since that time I have wanted to carve a loon but for some reason, never took the time to start, but now at the request of a good friend from the mid west I am carving a loon (1/2 size).  I am trying to use all hand tools rather than the grinder (with a cord) or the sander (with a cord).  I did not have a big block of wood so chose to glue 6 1/2" pieces of pine after roughing out the pattern on each piece.  From there came the draw knife and plane to rough out a general shape.  The head is separate and has 3 pieces of wood glued after again cutting out a general shape.  I used my scroll saw to cut each piece but in the real world I would use a band saw to cut out the form.


I marked the eyes on the head using a punch so that I wouldn't lose the placement.  The eyes are a sinister red and will be glass eyes that I purchase from a dealer.  With the initial cut I need to find the center line so there is balance to the decoy as I remove wood.  I try to keep redrawing the lines as I move through the carving.  Loons are a different bird to carve as much of their body rides low in the water and is unseen in the final work.


Chisels are used to carve the feather bunches and to improve the placement of the head.  Loons are black and white with striping, spots and checkering on their backs.  Painting is still a ways off as I need to bring the head into detail and improve the side feather pattern, then extensive sanding will take place.  The head will include better bill definition and the neck will blend into the body with one smooth line.



Loons are cool because they return to the same nesting place year after year; they can live up to 30 years; the produce 2-3 eggs and are protective of their chicks even providing them rides on the adults backs.  It takes 25+ days for the eggs to hatch and as soon as the chicks hatch they go into the water; at 11 weeks they can fly.  Adult birds leave the lake and travel to lakes in northern Maine or Southern Canada, congregate for several weeks before flying to the Atlantic Ocean for the winter.  Young loons leave the nesting lake and fly to the ocean for 2-3 years before finding a mate then finding a lake to start the life cycle again.





Loons need clean water and places free of human population (boats); reports say the population is "stable" but each year many loons die from contact with boats, fishing line, plastic soda holders and from their natural predators.  Chicks are vulnerable especially from large fish.  Loons are native to the North America and Canada so those of you in the mid west need to travel to watch and hear the wonderful birds.

Thanks again for visiting and remember when cutting to measure twice and cut once!  Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment