Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Wives

If you have a wife you are a very lucky person; I have a great one!  I remember the vows that we took several years ago and always thought that the words were meant to be followed, but after the last three weeks I know that Pat is the best.  I have never felt more loved and lucky as I have been over the last 26 days; from that first night when she slept in a recliner next to the bed, getting up to turn the sound up on the TV because it didn't work right, to making sure the nurse arrived at a prompt time; telling me that she couldn't understand how some one as smart as I was could eat meat loaf just after the surgery and getting very, very ill as she held my head as I vomited all over every thing!

She drove home the next day-from Portland Maine no less-with the aid of the Tom Tom but trying to miss all the bumps.  She helped me into the house, got me into bed, then parked the car in the cold.  Every four hours for the next 14 days she would wake up to make sure I took the pain meds; she  kept a record of the time and what I took, she helped me to the bathroom, kept me hydrated, kept me fed a balanced and healthy diet (I have lost weight).  She is my coach during the rehab exercises and the walks in the hall, keeping me on a constant gait and a proper alignment.  The book that she used to record the medications shows just what happens when one becomes sleep deprived; we went to the use of my alarm clock so that she might get some sleep, but she still checked in.

I have completed my in home care and now will start out patient rehab.  I really believe that I would have never made it to this stage without her help.  Yesterday, she took me to Home Depot so that I could walk some place besides the hall; today, we went to the book store because the carpet is easier on my legs.  She "spots" me as I learn to walk up and down stairs, she wraps my leg to cut down on blood clots chances and she puts on my socks.  It makes no difference how tired that she becomes or how grumpy I might become she has never complained and throwing in the fact that she is the primary care giver to my 96 year old mother, there are no words to describe how I feel about her.  I do have to admit that I did enjoy the showers-no not that stuff-just getting my back scrubbed was the best!

But today at the book store, she picked up a new John Wooden book plus the fly fishing edition of Gray's Sporting Journal, bought me a cup of coffee and a donut for my rest breaks as I completed my "intervals" around the store.  Anything related to John Wooden should be required reading for everyone, plus the Gray's Sporting Journal has some of the best art and stories when it comes to fishing.  As we were checking out, she picked up a stuffed bunny rabbit-I assumed she was getting it for one of the grand kids-she said that it was for me, a reward for my efforts!  That is what make Patricia such a carrying and special person.

I realize there is no talking about wood and projects-some how those are not real important right now-just a picture of her at one of her favorite places.  Much peace to all and yes keep measuring twice and cutting once.

1 comment:

  1. I know exactly what you mean Coach. No tellin' where I'd be without mine!

    ReplyDelete