Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Plus

The following was written before St. Patrick's day, I got busy and didn't finish so now, will finish.  Today cleaned up a rocking chair that belonged to my aunt because Molly needed an exhibit for school.  I have included some pictures but I really don't know much about it, as we found it in her basement after she died.  It is in pretty good shape considering I assume it was built in the early 1900's-she was born in 1907.  It shows use on the arms, so I again have to assume that she used it rather than it being a doll's chair.  (Yes I know what happens when we assume stuff!)  It has a tag with a number on it but no company name or date.  Some of the wood appears to have some irregularities in it and I think it was turned by a lath but not a modern one.  The caning is original and does show some wear, there are also some small nails that look like they were put in later to hold the cane weaving.


A Number for nothing else  


I use a wax that I used on the old steamer trunk to both clean and preserve.  I also have a picture of the drawers in the antique dresser that belonged to my folks, just to show the workmanship that exists in handmade furniture.  I know we have craftsmen today that do this kind of work but when we compare tools of then and today, I find it amazing just how good there were.  Getting some much improved weather so able to get back outside and back to work-cut some small limbs into garden posts as I planted two rows of peas this past week.   Spring always makes me miss the farm as the smell of fresh turned earth behind the tractor plow was always cool, but today most of the farming is no till, so this smell is limited to the garden.  Still miss those days-but not the July heat and humidity!!













We are celebrating St. Patrick's Day, wearing of the green, drinking beverages that are green, green eggs and ham and have spent the morning helping Molly and Harry design and build a leprechaun trap.


This trap has rock attached amid the sparkles to attract the little fellow into climbing to the top to get the gold coins.  The ribbons have jewels attached with a gold coin at the bottom-all to get the leprechaun to take notice then climb to the top.  Here the tricky part is that there is no top, the felt collapses and BAM, a leprechaun bites the dust.  For those of you worried about the little guy getting hurt when he falls into the trap, the Thomas children put soft balls in the bottom to cushion the fall!  Just how cool is that.

The 5 leaves left for their trip to India this afternoon-actually they won't leave until next Thursday but they left me today.  My wife wrote a piece about when someone touches the curves of the leaves or looks at the detail they think of the green hills and mountains of New Hampshire.  Hope the folks in India know about the trees of New Hampshire.  Totally off wood stuff, I went back to the Monadnock Trout Unlimited meeting last night, listened to guys tell stories while they tied flies, spoke of past fishing trips and trips yet to come.  If the sun ever shines again, next week, would like to get into the water.


Going to spend some time finishing some leaves that need to be sanded and finished; could use the space for other stuff.  I have as much extra wood as mom has knitting supplies.  The leaf on the left I am going to try to add an orange oil wash to highlight the wood grain with some color-more pictures will follow.  And with the warming temperatures should be able to get back to getting more projects done.

So not to confuse anyone, the leaves left for India last Thursday and have not heard anything so have to figure that they made it ok.  Getting back to work tomorrow!  Much peace to all, thank you for reading by blog and remember to measure twice and cut once!  and if you are fishing, always keep a tight line!
Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. You can see Paul's blog about his trip to India here:
    http://altamira2.tumblr.com/

    Haven't looked lately, but this is where you'll hear about the leaves, if you hear about them!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete